Importance of Activity:
- In completing this activity, the children in your small group will be able to express their individuality in their special project. While you engage children in conversations concerning their choices of what can go on the paper, language enrichment is taking place and self-recognition of each child’s name is strengthened. While holding a group discussion as children are making the special page about themselves, you are
- supporting their understanding of how we are all similar and unique.
- Child knows own characteristics and name, as
- well as how each is similar to and different from others.
- Child’s self-awareness increased. He/she knows own characteristics and name.
- Strengthening adult-child relationship.
- What is your name? Let’s write your name on the paper.
- When you think about your name, what pictures come to your mind?
- Look at the mirror, what do you see? What color are your eyes? What color is your hair?
- What do you like about yourself?
- Does someone here have the same color eyes and hair that you have?
- Is there anyone here that has the same name as you?
- What would you like to write about yourself on your paper?
- Sing the song “We Are All Special” with the children, using the lyrics and the puppet.
- Ask the children about the song and what it is about.
- Say, “Let’s take a piece of construction paper and draw a picture of you in the middle.”
- Ask the children to choose markers, crayons and art
- supplies to depict their specific physical characteristics.
- Help the children write their names on the paper.
- Discuss with the children what makes them the same as
- and different from others.
- Say, “Let’s work together and write down the characteristics and interests that each of you would like to share with people.”
- Let each child share his/her project and tell the others what is special about him/her. When sharing, encourage children to add to the child’s story by telling the group what they like about the child that is sharing their project.
- Ask the children to share and reflect on how this project and discussion made them feel.
* Please fill out a short survey, and click the "complete" button below! *
There is currently no survey for this activity.