Importance of Activity:
- In this activity, your child will use his/her senses to problem solve by identifying the fruits and vegetables in the bags. Your child will also work on his/her sorting and communication skills. Working with your child strengthens your parent-child relationship.
- strengthen parent-child relationship
- can take care of his/her needs, such as eating healthy foods
- knows how to solve problems
- uses the similarities and differences of objects to compare, match and sort
- What do you think is inside this bag?
- Let’s use our hands to touch the bag. What does it feel like? Is it hard or soft?
- Let’s use our nose to smell what is inside the bag. Close your eyes, open the bag and smell what is inside.
- What does it smell like?
- Do you think it is a fruit or a vegetable?
- Fruits and vegetables are good for your body.They keep you healthy and strong.
- Would you like to taste a fruit or a vegetable?
- Before you start the activity with your child, put a minimum of two different types of vegetables and two different types of fruit in brown paper lunch bags (one fruit/vegetable per bag). Fold the bags closed
- so that you cannot see what is inside.
- Sing the song “Let’s Use Our Senses” with your child.
- Place the mat on the playing area.
- Arrange the bags of fruits and vegetables in front of your child on the mat.
- Say, “We are going to use our senses to figure out what is in each of these bags. First we will touch, then we will smell, then we will see and then we will taste.”
- Say, “Let’s use our hands to feel what is in each bag. What does it feel like?”
- Say, “Let’s use our nose to smell what is in each bag. Close your eyes. What does it smell like?”
- Once you and your child have talked about each of the bags, open each bag and see if your child guessed correctly.
- Name each fruit and vegetable and have your child separate them into different piles (fruits and vegetables, small and large, etc.)
- Taste each one of the vegetables and fruits together. This can be a healthy snack for you and your child.
- End the activity by coloring and discussing the activity tuneTOON® and singing the song “Let’s Use Our Senses” again with your child.
- Clean up the fruit together.
* Please fill out a short survey, and click the "complete" button below! *
There is currently no survey for this activity.