Importance of Activity:
- In this activity, you and your child will create a storybook to enhance your child’s imagination and verbal skills. Your child will take pleasure in their accomplishments while creating the book. This is a great opportunity to spend time together and strengthen parent-child
- is interested in books, songs, rhymes, stories and writing (literacy-based activities)
- recognizes own skills and accomplishments and takes pleasure in performing them
- strengthen parent-child relationship
- uses verbal language
- What is your favorite book?
- Let’s use our imagination to make our very own storybook!
- How many characters do you want to have in your story? What are their names?
- Where does your story take place?
- You will be the author and the illustrator of the book! Do you know what an author and an illustrator are?
- Now that we wrote the words together, you can draw the pictures!
- Sing the song, “I Love Story Time” with your child by following the lyrics. Place the mat on the playing area and put the materials in front of your child. Have a hard surface to write on.
- Say, “Today we are going to make our very own storybook!” Use the suggested dialogue to help facilitate your child use of his/her imagination to create the story. As your child creates the story, write down what he/she is saying on pieces of white paper.
- Once your child is done creating the story, give him/her the blank pages and read the story.
- As you read each page, let your child glue the written page onto the construction paper, and decorate each page with washable markers.
- When your child is done, punch three holes along the left side of the papers and tie them together with string.
- Have the child color the interactive activity tuneTOON® while discussing the picture. Use the page as the cover for the book. Help your child write their name as the author and illustrator on the cover of the book.
- Read the book together and end the activity by singing the song again. Make sure to put the book in your child’s bookshelf for easy access.
- Sing the song, “I Love Story Time” with your child again.
- Fold the playing mat together and put it away.
* Please fill out a short survey, and click the "complete" button below! *
There is currently no survey for this activity.