Importance of Activity:
- In this activity, your child will pretend to be a baker and learn about measuring ingredients. Your child will also learn the difference between dry and wet ingredients and how combing everything together makes dough. This pretend play activity is a fun way to learn new skills and strengthen your bond.
- understands numbers and can count
- understands the meaning of measurement
- recognizes own skills and accomplishments and takes pleasure in performing them
- strengthen parent-child relationship
- plays pretend
- Let’s work together to make muffins! What do you think we need to make them?
- Let’s measure one cup of “flour".
- Let’s measure one tablespoon of “vanilla".
- Let's compare the measuring cups. Which one is the smallest? Biggest?
- How many ounces of milk do we need?
- What could we use to mix everything together?
- How long should we cook the muffins?
- How do you feel when you are a baker?
- What else would you like to cook?
- How do we measure liquids?
- When do we use the measuring spoons?
- Sing the song with your child.
- This activity should be done in an area where it is okay to spill water (outside would be best).
- Say, “Today we are going to pretend to be bakers! What type of muffins would you like to make?”
- Put all cooking supplies in front of your child (this includes water).
- Allow your child to explore the materials. Say, “Let’s work together to make muffins! What do you think we need to make them?”
- Begin making the muffins. Measure all the “ingredients” together. Use measuring cups and spoons.
- Talk about how we measure different ingredients. Explain to your child why we use measuring cups for some ingredients and why we use measuring spoons for other ingredients. Talk about the difference between liquid and solid ingredients.
- Once your child has put all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed them together, he/she can put the muffin “dough” in a muffin tin. Now you can “bake” the muffins!
- Remember you can use water and kitchen supplies to pretend to make all different types of food!
- End the activity by singing the song again with your child.
- Put all the cooking supplies away together.
- (You can choose do the activity in the kitchen preparing "real" muffins together.)
* Please fill out a short survey, and click the "complete" button below! *
There is currently no survey for this activity.